Pre-Trip Training Reflection

For me, India is a country that is at once both close and far. I was born in India, retain a strong connection to Indian culture and cuisine, and still visit relatives there every few years. At the same time, I have spent the majority of my formative years in the United States and have always lived in middle class comfort during my summer trips to India. A big reason I chose this specific country was my desire to get to better know the “real” India outside of my comfort zone. As I embark on my summer project to Delhi, I will be entering the country for the first time on my own. I will be exploring a part of the country that I have never previously been exposed to and interacting with all kinds of people I would usually stay away from. My hope is for this experience to broaden my mind and allow me to see the bare realities of life in my home country. This will go a long way to helping me understand who I am and where I come from. This is the personal reason as to why I chose India for my fellowship placement.

As an aspiring future physician, I am constantly looking to learn about the intricacies of patient interaction and about the roadblocks that prevent effective provider patient interaction. The specific issue of drug rehabilitation in Delhi fits in well with these interests. This is mainly because the cultural stigma associated with drug use in Delhi means patients find it extremely difficult to admit their problem and seek help. The stigma also means many healthcare providers are unwilling to admit rehab patients or unaware of how to work with them. The sheer challenge of navigating this problem will provide me with an incredible opportunity to study provider patient interactions in challenging situations. This kind of in-depth, hands on look will teach me valuable lessons that I can take with me on my path to becoming a physician. This is why I chose the specific policy issue of drug abuse in India.

Overall, my pre-trip training has given me a great look at the background of India and the basics behind the drug addiction problem in Delhi. I feel like I will be going into my summer project with a solid understanding of what I will be facing.